Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Bard's Beer at White Spot



A great evening was had by members of the Victoria Chapter who dined at White Spot on Caledonia. The sweet potato fries prepared in White Spot's dedicated deep fryer accompanied by a cold glass of Bard's Beer (made from gluten-free malted sorghum) was the hit of the evening. A set menu with just a few of the celiac-friendly options that this White Spot location offers made for a delicious evening. Fun was provided by a draw for two Bard's Beer T-Shirts and everyone took home a very slick and transportable Bard's Beer bottle opener.
FMI about Bard's Beer

3 comments:

  1. After reading about the White Spots dedicated deep fryer on Caledonia, I went there (while I was in town last) specifically for the yam fries. But the chef's looked at the yam fries and saw "this product has been produced in a facility that also manufactures products with wheat .... etc" on it and came back to me with that news. I opted out of the fries but was very glad that they took the time to look into it for me and give me the option. Not all restaurants look that carefully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tiffany. This is very disconcerting considering at least a dozen of us celiacs consumed the yam fries with vigour. I will be in touch with the manager and post their response.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a result of Tiffany's experience, I contacted the manager of the White Spot in question and received this assuring reply, "I read through our allergy information again and it definitely says that they are gluten free. I even went so far as to read the label on both the blackening spice bottle and the box of the sweet potato fries. There is no mention of wheat or gluten on any ingredient list, nor is there a reference to either being manufactured in a facility that has wheat products in it. I'm not sure why someone would have said that. I am going to forward this email to our people at head office just to ensure we do our due diligence here. I will get back to you ASAP when I get a response."

    Laura, General Manager
    White Spot Restaurants
    710 Caledonia Ave
    Victoria, BC

    ReplyDelete